Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Man, It's Hot!

Yesterday's run just plain stunk! We started out entirely too late for this heat. And I don't think I've quite got the hang of the tempo runs. I ran for the first ten minutes at 'race pace', just barely making it and then I was going to do a slow jog for the 5 minute recovery time. After about two minutes of this, I just felt like I couldn't go on, so I walked for the rest of the recovery time. During that walk one of my son's caught up to me and expressed that this was NOT fun, his legs hurt, he didn't feel like running anymore and he probably just wasn't cut out to run. He expressed my thought exactly! But I encouraged him not to quit. I told him I pretty much felt the same, so why didn't we do just one more lap together. That way, we could finish the run with dignity. He grumbled, but when I started running, he ran too. At his lead, we ended up running two more laps together.
It was hot, it was hard, and it was discouraging. I think I probably ran two miles, instead of the usual 3. When I was done, I felt worse than I usually feel. I am also more sore today than usual. Did I over-run the 'race pace'? Was it just the heat? Was it running at a different time of day? Was it just an off day?
With school starting and work schedules changing, we also have to find new run times. We were in a nice little routine, it is going to take some commitment to keep working through this. Running is important to me, so I will stick it out.
I do know one thing: I will be SO happy when the weather finally gets under 95 degrees!!!!

No comments: