Sunday, August 26, 2007

Trail Runs are Fun

Friday morning I went for it, I went on a trail run! It was our fun run day, so I was looking forward to running with no watch and no particular pace. I ran on the wooded trail at Furman. I am not sure how long it is. It was kind of nice not knowing. I've had a lot on my mind lately, so I enjoyed running in the shade of the trees, smelling the sweet scent of pine needles. I was hoping to mesh out some of my thoughts, but the run was mentally challenging. I had to constantly be aware of my surroundings. Did the trail descend ahead of me? Were there roots or rocks I would need to negotiate? My pace varied depending on the terrain. On the road, you can sort of get in the step, step, step routine. Paces are more easily regulated. On the trail, I felt like a deer dodging the nearest trees.
At the end of my trail run, I headed out on the paved walking road to run for a little bit longer. It was nice to do that, but not nearly as interesting: ) Most of the trails I have been on around here have some major elevation gains. I would like to find some longer easy trails like Furman's to get comfortable on.
On another note, I am still going to have to work on finding a good running time. Mornings is not going to work like I had hoped. It is frustrating and easy to push it aside when it doesn't work out smoothly. I am not running four times a week like I want to right now. But I will keep putting one foot in front of the other. I am not quitting.

No comments: