Wednesday, July 4, 2007

32:51

That's the number I saw when I ran through the finish line of my very first 5K run!!
I was feeling a little nervous when I was standing at the start line. Here I was in this crowd of hundreds of runners. Some of them were practically professional runners. Then I looked around and saw so many runners from the iRUN group. Some of them have run 5ks before and some were just doing it for the first time like me. I thought to myself if they could do it, I could do it! The firecrackers popped (After all, this was the Firecracker Frolic) and the crowd started moving. I moved with them, one step at a time. Soon I was running a good pace and feeling strong. I got to the end of my first nine minutes and was beginning to walk one minute when I heard one of the coaches behind me say not to waste my walk on a downhill. I was feeling pretty good, so I kept on running. In all, I ended up walking two full minutes and running the rest. At mile 2, I began to feel like I needed to work for this. The last 1/4 mile sweat started dripping from my forehead. I got to that last hill and I gave it my all. What an exhilarating feeling to cross that finish line with people cheering me on!! I could've run it in an hour and I would still feel just as proud. I did it, I ran a 5K!!!
Side note:
My 11 year old son came along and ran the race in 29 minutes! I was very proud of him. I hope the addiction sets in on him, too!!!

No comments: