Saturday, July 14, 2007

You Must be a Runner!

I looked around to see who this lady was talking to and realized she meant me! Me?
After the group run this morning I headed out to a few yard sales still in my running shorts and, ever so stylish, Run-In performance shirt. I looked like a runner, all right. And I felt like a runner after the run I did this morning, too. I ran 13 minutes, walked 1 and then ran 20 minutes! I would never have done that at home, but I was running with the coaches right beside me telling me what a good runner I was and encouraging me to go on. They were giving me tips and hints about knee care and running on hills and trails. They were talking about cadence and form. I am still figuring out what all that means, but with these coaches coming along side of me, I know I will get it soon enough.
To be honest, I can't believe I ran that long and can still stand up tonight! I remember when running two minutes made me breathe fast. I remember when five minutes seemed impossible and today I did 20 without even realizing it. I know I keep mentioning the 2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc. Remembering gives me courage and hope that I will be running harder and farther one day. And I will have fun doing it.
My knees were aching a little but I iced them and now they are doing great. I am heading back into the shoe store to address some uncomfortable issues. Some simple wedges may eliminate that. It's great to have some experts at my fingertips to help with things like this.
Then this afternoon I saw a “real runner” at the coffee shop. She was refusing chocolate cake because she had a race tomorrow. “What kind of race?” I asked her. She was running an adventure race. This involves trails, mountain bike and lake swimming. It is very intense. Then she asked me if I was a runner.
“I am learning to be” was my reply.
One day I will say, “Yes, I sure am!”

No comments: