Monday, July 16, 2007

Farm Road Frolic- A Country 5K

I ran a 5K this morning! It wasn't a race, it was just a measured distance on the road near my house. however, I did have an audience cheering me along the way.
There was the gardening man who said, “That's what I should be doing...”
“Come on out, it feels great to be running!”
“Maybe next week.” he muttered.
He doesn't know there is a runner inside of him yet. Maybe he feels like I used to. Maybe he thinks that running is only for certain people...you know...runners. Maybe he thinks he would probably have a heart attack if he ran more than 10 minutes, I used to. On my way back in, he was still in his chair, but he cheered me on to the finish line.
Then there were the horses glancing at me through their manes, the cows who quit chewing their cud and stared at me in awe as I passed them with speed and agility. (I can imagine, can't I?) All of the chipmunks and rabbits scurried out of my way before I ran over them. I think I saw one of the chipmunks peering at me from his hole. I think they are all amazed at the difference in my running. When I first started I would pant past the horses and I don't think I even made it as far as the cows. The rabbits sat still and watched me trudge by knowing I was not a threatening predator.
Except for all of the hills around here, I love running in the country. There is not a lot of traffic, the scenery is peaceful and pleasant. The hills are making me stronger, though. I really have to pay attention and pace myself on them. But I did find one of the hills I have been struggling with to be easier today!
Today's run: 15(min) run, 1(min) walk, 7 run ( a very steep hill) 4 walk, 9 run. A total of 36 minutes for a pretty tough 5K.
By the way, I had pretty much decided that it was too hot, I was too tired and my knee might hurt if I ran today. “Nah, I'm not going to run...Maybe tonight” And we all know how that goes. Then I just couldn't stand it. I decided I would go do an easy run, just to get my blood going. I told myself I did not have to run the entire 30 minutes, because something would be better than nothing.I'm so glad I made myself do it: )

No comments: