Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Why run?

Why not walk or hike or bike? Why not go work out at the gym?
For me, running is freedom. I don't have to pay a monthly fee to run or arrange childcare or come to the gym during business hours. I can still be in the great outdoors that I love when I am hiking, but the time commitment is easier. I can do a thirty minute run much easier than a 2 mile hike. I can run on my road, so there is no driving time. I think I would enjoy biking also. However, I do not presently own a bike. I can throw on my running shoes and run anywhere at anytime. My heart rate goes up, oxygen flows and I am strong.
Probably one of the main reasons I run, though, is because the opportunity arose at the right time in my life. The local running group offered a free beginners time. I have been needing the physical activity and I thought it might help me deal with depression. I have received everything I hope for from running. And now I am starting to see why others are running. It has really surprised me. I have seen those running to deal with grief, health issues, and weight issues. It is exciting to see those who are struggling overcome their struggles or find peace within themselves. I am finding peace within myself.
I've also discovered the empowerment that comes with running. I am surprised at how each time I accomplish my running goals, I feel a little more able to accomplish my life goals. I remember being afraid I couldn't run five minutes without stopping, but then I ran seven without stopping. I know one day I will run 30 minutes without stopping. This gives me hope to take baby steps in other areas of my life. Now I know I can change, one step at a time.

No comments: