Monday, July 9, 2007

Running Family Style

Saturday was our usual group run in Cleveland Park with the iRUN folks. Only it wasn't usual for me because I had my family with me!! Only my youngest stayed with a cousin. She isn't quite ready to keep up with us. We all ran with the 8 minute run, 2 minute walk group. The park is a great place to run because the hills aren't as bad as the roads we usually run on. All of the kids were awesome. They had no trouble keeping up. Abbey said she liked running because she gets lots of compliments. She should be getting compliments, too! She hung in there and ran like a pro. If she can run like this at 8 yrs. old, imagine when she is my age! She was very determined to finish our times, too. I am happy to see all of the kids running. It's great to see them work hard for little goals and reach them. The life lessons in running are so valuable. I hope it will create a lifelong habit.
I have been thrilled to have my husband running with me. Today he had to drive to Nashville, but he ran before he left. I loved knowing that he was able to get in some good exercise before sitting in a truck for 10 hours! I know he will feel better all day for it. He's already looking better from all of this running. I think there must be something called 'runner's glow' because we all seem to have it!
We did 8 minutes run, 2 walk again today. I am ready to move on, but still feel like this is where I need to stay. I keep telling myself, "I am building a lifelong foundation, don't rush it!" Of course, it doesn't help to have all of these fast boys running with me! I have to work hard to keep up with my sons! I might have to ban them from my running time, so I will still feel fast!
Maybe not, though. It sure makes me happy to see them doing such a fantastic job.

No comments: